1. Sonido Clash’s Latin Sounds While “Despacito” may have taken the world by storm, Sonido Clash, a cultural collective, brought Latin sounds to San Jose that you’ve likely never heard before. This innovative group introduced a refreshing blend of music, merging cumbia, punk, and hip-hop, offering a unique musical experience to the community.
2. ‘MONARCA’ Exhibition: A Revolutionary Art Showcase San Jose’s art scene took a bold step forward with the ‘MONARCA’ exhibition, featuring revolutionary artists whose works cut deep into the hearts of viewers. This showcase provided a platform for artists to explore and express their ideas, pushing the boundaries of traditional art and creating meaningful connections with the audience.
3. Music Without Borders: Emergent Latin Bass Scene Silicon Valley’s music scene evolved beyond the mainstream with the emergence of the Latin bass scene, which seamlessly fused various genres, including cumbia, punk, and hip-hop. This fusion of musical influences gave rise to a refreshing, multicultural experience that transcended age and demographics.
4. Changing of the Guard in Fall Arts As 2016 marked a transition in the arts, we saw a changing of the guard as new artists and creators emerged. Silicon Valley continued to be a hub for creative talent, fostering a fresh wave of artistic innovation and expression.
5. The Hit Lists: Cultural Highlights Both in January and April, Silicon Valley witnessed an array of cultural events showcasing the best in music, art, and culture. These lists served as guides for residents and visitors alike, helping them discover and appreciate the rich tapestry of cultural offerings in the region.
6. SubZERO Festival’s 10th Anniversary The 10th annual SubZERO Festival brought together some of the region’s finest local bands, offering an unforgettable experience to music enthusiasts. With a frosty lineup of talent, this festival highlighted the diversity of musical expression within the Silicon Valley community.